20020919: ncdump listing of NetCDF files (cont.)

>From: "Mathias Lundmark" <address@hidden>

Mathias,

>I have tried to open ncdump in MS-DOS many times.
>The same thing will happen as when I try to click the icon.
>It closes/ignores immediately.

We just ran ncdump from the Command Prompt window (the MS-DOS window) under
Windows 2000 Professional with no problems:

o click on Start
o click on Accessories
o click on Command Prompt

When in the Command Prompt window, we verified that the directory containing
ncdump.exe was included in our PATH (you should do the same).  We then
went to a directory where we had some netCDF files and ran ncdump:

ncdump.exe -h test.nc

If you can not do the same, it means that either the copy of ncdump.exe
you have is bad, or it is dynamically linked and needs a DLL (and the
DLL should be included in the distribution where you got your copy
of ncdump.exe).

o if the ncdump.exe file you have is bad I recommend that
  you FTP our prebuilt netCDF package for Windows:

  ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
    <user> anonymous
    <pass> your email address
    cd pub/netcdf/contrib/win32
    binary
    get netcdf-3.5.0.win32bin.ZIP
    quit

   Unzip the file you just downloaded.  You should find, among other things,
   two different versions of ncdump.exe:

   bin/ncdump.exe        <- dynamically linked; requires use of bin/netcdf.dll
   bin/ncdumps.exe       <- statically linked version of ncdump.exe

o make sure that the path into which you unzipped the distribution is
  in your PATH

o use the statically linked version of ncdump to list a netCDF file on
  your system:

  ncdumps.exe -h <your netCDF file>

>As I said before: we have no compiler and I didn't download ncdump.exe
>from your software package.

Since you are using a version of ncdump.exe from a distribution that is
not under our control, we can't say whether or not it is good or bad,
or statically or dynamically linked.

>Maybe there are "complementfiles" needed...or?

For our dynamically linked version of ncdump (ncdump.exe), you do need
the DLL (the DLL will have to be in a directory in your PATH in the
same way that the executable).  For the statically linked version of
ncdump (ncdumps.exe), you do not.

What may be needed for the version of ncdump you got in GRADS, we can
not say.

Tom

>From address@hidden Fri Sep 20 06:05:48 2002

Tom
Thanks a lot, now it works perfect

Mathias Lundmark
Renewable Energy in Sweden AB (publ)
Sallerupsvägen 9
S-212 18 Malmö, Sweden
Phone: +46 40 38 85 50 Fax: +46 40 18 87 30
address@hidden
www.renewable.se