20020618: question with netCDF fortran 77 interface on SGI

>From: Zhuo Wang <address@hidden>

Zhuo,

>I was trying to create 3-D netCDF data file using netCDF fundtions. The
>data type is real*8 (I also tried double precision) (NCDOUBLE) in
>Fortran77 interface, and I run the program on IRIX6.
>
>It seemed everything was fine when I wrote data into a file. No errors
>were returned and I am pretty sure the input values of "NCVPT()" are
>correct. But when I look at the data using "sdfopen" in grads, it is in a
>mess. The data rang from 1e-25 to 1e29.

The first thing to do is determine if the problem is in the netCDF that
was written or in the GRaDS routine that is reading the file.  You should
be able to see if the file is OK by using the ncdump application that
comes with the netCDF package.  The online documentation for using ncdump
can be found in our netCDF documentation:

Unidata netCDF
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf
  NetCDF Documentation
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/docs.html
    online HTML
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guidec/

Look in

10 - NetCDF Utilities
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guidec/guidec-15.html

The section on use of ncdump is 10.5.

If ncdump lists out reasonable values from your file, then the problem
is somehow in GRaDS.  If ncdump lists out bad values, then the application
you wrote to write the netCDF file must have errors.

>Thanks a lot for your help.
>Zhuo Wang

Tom Yoksas