Re: 20020603: NETcdf linking errors

>To: address@hidden
>cc: address@hidden
>From: Erik gilje <address@hidden>
>Subject: NETcdf linking errors

Hi Erik,

> I'm trying to use netcdf in a fortran program on a
> Linux platform.  However I keep getting errors that
> seem to be linking errors.  This is the error I get:
>
> hot% ln -s /usr/local/src/netcdf-3.5.0/src/f90/netcdf.mod .
> ln: ./netcdf.mod: File exists

That message just indicates that there is already a file (or symbolic
link) named "netcdf.mod" in the current working directory from which
the command was run.

> hot% f90 -c adcirc.cdf.f90
> hot% f90 -o adcirc.cdf adcirc.cdf.o -L/usr/local/src/netcdf-3.5.0/src/lib
> -lnetcdf

>  symbol                              in file
> handle_err_                       adcirc.cdf.o
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output
> written to adcirc.cdf

Did you provide a "handle_err" function?  That function is not part of
the netCDF library, it's merely used as an example of how you might
choose to handle error returns from netCDF calls.  A simple example of
a "handle_err" function is given in the description of the
nf90_strerror() function:

   Here is an example of a simple error handling subroutine that uses
   NF90_STRERROR to print the error message corresponding to the
   netCDF error status returned from any netCDF function call and then
   exit:

     subroutine handle_err(status)
       integer, intent ( in) :: status

       if(status /= nf90_noerr) then
         print *, trim(nf90_strerror(status))
         stop "Stopped"
       end if
     end subroutine handle_err

That example would just print an error message and stop, but you might
want to handle errors more flexibly, in which case you have to provide
a different version or just test for the error return codes when you
call netCDF routines and handle each one separately ...

--Russ