Re: 20020429: make test failure

Hi Myongsun,

In

>To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
>From: Myongsun Kong <address@hidden>
>Subject: make test failure

you asked about:

> A.  CYGWIN_95-4.0 FKNIGHTWS 1.3.10(0.51/3/2) 2002-02-25 11:14 i586 unknown
>
> B.  3.5.0
>
> C.  gcc is /usr/bin/gcc   c++ is /usr/bin/c++   g77 is /usr/bin/g77
> /usr/bin/g77

> cmp test.nc test_nc.sav
> test.nc test_nc.sav differ: char 1545, line 5
> make[2]: *** [test] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mkong/netcdf-3.5.0/src/libsrc'
> make[1]: *** [subdir_target] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mkong/netcdf-3.5.0/src'

This turns out to be a small floating-point error that only occurs on Cygwin
systems and for which we haven't been able to determine a cause.

We have had a few other users report a similar test failure on Cygwin systems:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/4180

but subsequent tests showed everything seemed to be working OK despite
this test failure:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/4181

Another user reported that with his version of Cygwin, everything
built and ran OK "out of the box":

  Running Windows 2000 on a 4000 Mhz Dell laptop, I instaled the
  latest cygwin yesterday (4/18/01), and just download netcdf
  3.5.0. Just did

  ./configure
  ./make
  ./make test

  and all worked fine out of the tarball. So, I'm not able to
  reproduce Carl's problem. Consider updating your cygwin environment
  if you haven't done so recently.

So we don't know exactly why some Cygwin installations seem to report
this difference, but apparently the libraries build OK, and you should
be able to install and use them.

--Russ

-- Russ