20020422: netcdf with win32, absoft profortran

>From: "Kip Laws" <address@hidden>

Kip,

>I have been trying for the last couple of weeks to get a netcdf interface
>working.   I tried to use the precompiled libraries but I was unable to get
>them to work.  I got help from absoft tech support and determined that I
>would have to compile from source because the precompiled libraries were not
>compatible with the absoft compiler.  I found that I could not compile the
>libraries locally because they require a posix compliant C compiler to
>compile the Posix routines.

The netcdf library available in our win32 binary were built using the
Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 compilers.

>The final consensus was that my best bet would be to use fortran 77
>precompiled binaries.  please let me know if these are available and
>how can I find them?

Precompiled binaries for what?  Your inquiry says that our prebuilt netCDF
library is not compatible with the Absoft Fortran compiler.

>Also if you have any other suggestions I
>would be glad to hear them.  I am attempting to ready data analysis code, in
>fortran, in preparation for availability of a netcdf format data set later
>this year, so it is pretty vital that I find a way to get a netcdf interface
>working.

Since you are developing data analysis applications, you will need to be
able to either link against the netCDF library, libnetcdf.a, or use the
netCDF DLL.  Since you say that Absoft says that the output from their
compiler will not work with either of these, it seems that you will
need to build the netCDF from source, so you will need a C compiler.

We took a quick look at the Absoft web site and saw that they list Visual
C++ as a companion product:

Companion Products
http://www.absoft.com/resources.html

  Graphical User Interface (GUI) Builders
  Visual C++

Given this, there _must_ be a way of using Visual C++ to build the
netCDF library so that it can work with the Absoft Fortran compiler.
The question becomes how can this be accomplished?  Perhaps, one needs to
specify certain flags to the Visual C++ compiler in order to create
output that is compatible with Absoft Fortran.  You should check with
Absoft to find out if this is true.  If it is, we are willing to try
and build a binary distribution using those flags and pass it along to
you.

>Best regards and thanks in advance for your help

Please let us know what you find out from Absoft regarding use of
Visual C++.

>Kenneth Laws
>Reseach fellow,
>University of Michagan

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Mon Apr 22 16:35:30 2002
>Subject: Re: 20020422: netcdf with win32, absoft profortran

Tom,

The prebuilt libraries are I referred to would be for supporting fortran 77
interface, i.e., an older version of netcdf than the 3.50 version I
attempted to use which claims to support fortran 90 and be more efficient
than older versions of the netcdf interface which supported fortran 77.  It
is the current interface distribution prebuilt libraries that I was able to
download that did not work with my system.  I believe that people in the
past have been successful with an older version of prebuilt libraries with
Absoft fortran compilers, but I don't know which version would be best to
use or how to find the prebuilt libraries.

Your suggestion about using Visual C++ to build the
netCDF library so that it can work with the Absoft Fortran compiler sounds
reasonable.  I will cc
Jeff Feuerstein at Absoft who has been helping me with this issue and
hopefully he can let us know what whether he thinks this will work.  My
Absoft compiler does handle C and C ++ source code and does have an option
under DLL compatibility for Microsoft Visual C++.  I did try setting this
option but still had errors trying to compile the source.  Apparently a
posix compliant C compiler is required to build the libraries from source.

Jeff,
is my absoft compiler fully compatible with Microsoft Visual C++ or is this
posix copliancy related to this issue?

Kip