20020422: netCDF Installation problem (cont.)

>From: okalinga <address@hidden>

Oscar,

>I have managed to run the CONFIGURE script following your last suggestion,
>thanks. Now I'm getting some errors in the "make", "make test", and "make
>install" steps. Below are the items A through H for your reviewal:
>
>A] IRIX64 aurora 6.5 10100655 IP27 mips
>B] 3.5.0
>C]PATH=/usr/local/home/ernstk/bin:/usr/freeware/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/java/b
>in
>:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bsd:/usr/afsws/bin:/usr/bin/X11:.:/usr/explorer/bin
>

>D] loading cache ./config.cache

This last line shows that you did not wipe out the result(s) of a previous
attempt at running configure.  When configure does not run to completion,
no Makefile is generated, but a couple of other files are:

config.cache
config.log

If you ran configure and something went wrong and then modified a Unix
environment variable to correct the problem, you must make certain to
delete the two files above before rerunning configure.

>checking for top-level source-directory
>/scratch/ernstk/oscar/netcdf/src
>checking for m4 preprocessor
>checking for m4... (cached) m4
>checking m4 flags... -B10000
>checking C compiler "/bin/cc -64="... failed to compile test program

This line is telling us that your CC environment variable is set to
'/bin/cc -64=';  This is incorrect for a couple of different reasons:

1) there is a trailing '=' sign
2) you should specify C compile flags in the CFLAGS environment variable

Given my previous comment about removing config.cache and config.log
after an abortive attempt at running configure, this may be a problem
that you have already fixed in your Unix environment.  If not, you need
to fix it before proceeding.

After you verify your CC, CFLAGS, etc. environment variables do the
following:

o IF make files were generated in a previous configure attempt, run:

  make distclean

o IF NO make files were generated in a previous configure attempt,
  run:

  rm config.cache config.log

After doing this, rerun configure:

./configure

All of your email inclusions after this point are probably irrelevant,
so I am deleting them.

Tom