Re: 20020320: HELP with CDF ver 2

>To: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden
>Subject: HELP with CDF ver 2

Hi Dr. Mucchino

> Dear sirs sorry to bother you, but I have a problem: in the past I
> used to modify my CDF data by making a text file with NCDUMP
> program, make all the modifications with a text editor, then use
> NCGEN to rebuild the CDF file. I used the version 2 for the
> compatibility with my old software.
> Now after a couple of years I need to do it again but I was not able
> to find the ncgen program in my hard disk: I downloaded a version
> from the internet but it does not match my old NCDUMP and my
> files (or I believe so), the files built with ncgen are then unreadable
> by my programs and even by ncdump. Where can I find the original
> NCDUNP and NCGEN programs for windows platform??

The netCDF version 3 ncdump and ncgen are still compatible, because
the file format has not changed since netCDF version 1 and the format
of CDL files has only had a couple of additions.  For example "_" is
now permissible as a representation of a missing value for data.  So
I'm surprised that a current version of ncdump won't read old netCDF
files, since they are still in the same format.

However, here is a compressed tar file containing the ncgen.exe and
ncdump.exe from netCDF version 2.4.1 of April 15, 1996:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-Win32.tar.gz

After you unpack this, just look in the netcdf/bin/ directory.

And here is a current version that contains the directory bin/ with
current versions of ncdump.exe and ncgen.exe, in case you want to
check if these versions work for you:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-3.5.0.win32bin.ZIP

--Russ