20020225: building netcdf-3.5.0 on AIX 4.3 using gcc and xlf90

Verena,

>Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:24:10 +0100
>From: Verena Cals <address@hidden>
>To: address@hidden
>Subject: netcdf-3.5.0 and xlf90

> a few month ago I mailed to you because I had problems with the
> installation from netcdf-3.5.0 with the NAG-Fortran-Compiler. By
> assisting us the installation was successful. With the
> NAG-Fortran-Compiler and the portland-group-compiler netcdf-3.5.0 works,
> but I've problems with the xlf90 on aix workstations. During the
> installation at step 'make test' I got an error massage. First I ignored
> the error, but during the compilation from my programs the same error
> occurs and no executable file was produced. I hope you are able to help
> me over again.
>
> best regards
> Verena Cals
>
> A.
> > uname -a
> AIX ich296 3 4 0047194A4C00
>
> B.
> > more VERSION
> 3.5.0
>
> C.
> > which gcc
> /usr/local/bin/gcc
> > which xlf
> /usr/bin/xlf
> > which xlf90
> /usr/bin/xlf90

You are using the GNU C compiler with the xlf90 native Fortran compiler.
In general, it is better to use one type of development environment
than to mix them. Is there some reason why you can't use the the native
"xlC" compiler? (The file INSTALL.html contains examples of using this
compiler).

Regards,