20020214: netcdf 3.5.0 ncvarput failure - Cray SV1

John,

>Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:48:03 -0900
>From: John Metzner <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20020212: netcdf 3.5.0 ncvarput failure - Cray SV1

>       I'm still working on trying to get netCDF 3.5.0 built and tested on
> our Cray SV1ex.  I tried turning down the optimization level as you suggested
> to no avail, same error during 'make test'.  This was done after a 'make
> distclean', making sure there was no config.cache and resetting the
> environment variables.  There is one (that I know of) local change to the
> default library search path which causes /usr/local/lib to be prepended
> to the library search path (even prempting -L on the command line) which I
> pulled out.  I ran through the full build & test sequence again and got the
> same error as below.
>       I did pull the netCDF-3.5.0 package inside Cray Corporate, built and
> tested the package there on a SV1ex.  It worked, so the problem is some local
> system change which is getting in the way.
>       I pulled the package from Cray Corporate back out to the site with
> the "good" libraries and build products.  I reran the 'make test' on it, again
> without error.
>       Next I copied the locally built libsrc/libnetcdf.a and
> cxx/linetcdf_c++.a into the proper location for the "good" package from Cray
> Corporate.  A 'make test' ran again without error.  I was trying to determine
> if the problem was in the test code or the libraries built locally.  Is that
> a valid test?

If your locally-built libnetcdf.a library, when copied into the Cray
Corporate package, results in that package correctly executing a "make
test", then it would seem that the problem lies in the building and/or
execution of the netCDF-2 test program rather than with the netCDF
library functions.

A good way to look at the differences in the build environments is to
use the "diff" utility on the file "macros.make", which is located in
the top-level source directory.  Does it show anything significant?

Another thing to check is whether or not the files in the netCDF-2 test
directory, "nctest", are the same.

Regards,