From: "Ethan Davis" <address@hidden>
To: "Donald Denbo" <address@hidden>; "shen yingshuo"
<address@hidden>
"Nathan Potter" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 1:43 PM
Subject: 20020125: test version ncBrowse

> > From: Donald Denbo <address@hidden>
>
> Donald Denbo wrote:
> >
> > DODS Support,
> >          I have the following problem reading this file using the
dods.jar
> > and netcdf2.jar files.  The dods.jar is dated 7/5/2001 and the netcdf2
is
> > the latest version.  The ncBrowse application does at the point it tries
> > access the variables.  It get the structure read fine.
> >
> >          Below I have included the stack trace.
>
> Hi Don, Yingshuo,
>
> I'm passing this on to John Caron (Agg Server and netcdf2.jar) and Nathan
Potter
> (dods.jar) to take a look at.
>
> Nathan: If you answer, please CC address@hidden and include the
top
> three lines of this email for our tracking system. Thanks.
>
> Ethan
> address@hidden
>
> > Don
> >
> > At 04:48 PM 1/24/2002 -1000, you wrote:
> > >hi don,  this is yingshuo at iprc..   i am trying to use your new
ncBrowse
> > >which can open a dods file..   it works fine with dods file but it does
not
> > >work from dods data from thredds.    ferret can open dods data from
> > >threads..
> > >
> > >the test ncBrowse does read part of thredds dods data.. but it can not
be
> > >complete..     it would be nice if ncBrowse can open data from thredds
which
> > >aggregates list of netCDF files..
> > >
> > >for your reference.. try to open
> > >
> > >http://thredds.unidata.ucar.edu:8080/dodsC/air.1948.nc
> > >

> > >best regards,
> > >
> > >yingshuo shen
> >
> >       [java] Instantiating DODSNcFile =
> > http://thredds.unidata.ucar.edu:8080/dodsC/air.1948.nc
> >       [java] DODSVariable createVectorArray 1 getData failed on time
> >       [java] java.io.EOFException
> >       [java] java.io.EOFException
> >       [java]     at
java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:343)
> >       [java]     at dods.dap.DVector.deserialize(DVector.java:200)
> >       [java]     at dods.dap.DataDDS.readData(DataDDS.java:75)
> >       [java]     at dods.dap.DConnect.getData(DConnect.java:298)
> >       [java] java.lang.NullPointerException
> >       [java]  at dods.dap.DConnect.getData(DConnect.java:340)
> >       [java]         at ncBrowse.NcUtil.getArrayValue(Unknown Source)
> >       [java]     at ncBrowse.DODSNcFile.getArrayValue(Unknown Source)
> >       [java]         at ncBrowse.DomainSelector.makeAxesPanel(Unknown
Source)
> >       [java]   at ucar.nc2.dods.DODSNetcdfFile.getData(Unknown Source)
> >       [java]  at ucar.nc2.dods.DODSVariable.createVectorArray(Unknown
Source)
> >       [java]  at ncBrowse.DomainSelector.run(Unknown Source)
> >       [java]         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
> >       [java]         at ucar.nc2.dods.DODSVariable.read(Unknown Source)
> >       [java]     at ncBrowse.NcUtil.getArrayValue(Unknown Source)
> >       [java]     at ncBrowse.DODSNcFile.getArrayValue(Unknown Source)
> >       [java]     at ncBrowse.DomainSelector.makeAxesPanel(Unknown
Source)
> >       [java]     at ncBrowse.DomainSelector.run(Unknown Source)
> >       [java]     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
> >       [java]

> > Donald W. Denbo    address@hidden
> > Ph: (206) 526-4487   Fax: (206) 526-6744
> > Collaborative tools: http://www.epic.noaa.gov/collab/
> > Netcdf Browser: http://www.epic.noaa.gov/java/ncBrowse
> > Scientific Java Graphics: http://www.epic.noaa.gov/java/sgt
> > EPIC Oceangraphic Data Management: http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/epic
>
> --
> Ethan R. Davis                       Telephone: (303) 497-8155
> Software Engineer                    Fax:       (303) 497-8690
> UCAR Unidata Program Center          E-mail:    address@hidden
> P.O. Box 3000
> Boulder, CO  80307-3000              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
>

>From address@hidden Mon Jan 28 11:03:55 2002
>To: Donald Denbo <address@hidden>
>cc: John Caron <address@hidden>,
>   shen yingshuo <address@hidden>,
>   Ethan Davis <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>   Nathan Potter <address@hidden>,
>   address@hidden, address@hidden
>Subject: Re: 20020125: test version ncBrowse

Don et al.,

The dods.jar on the DODS web site is the "current release". The one you got
from John Caron is a snapshot of the Java-DODS core taken fairly recently. The
aggregation server (and a lot of other stuff currently in development) relies
on recent changes to the Java-DODS core. I am currently working on getting a
new release out the door. In the meantime, use the jar file that you go from
John Caron.

> John & Ethan,
>          Just a word to say thanks for the quick work.  And a notice that
> the dods.jar file available from the web site is the Jun 11, 2001
> version.  I had to use the netcdf2dods.jar to get it to work.  Will this be
> the preferred jar in the future?
>
> Don

The answer is NO. The DODS webs site will be the place to get our current
release. In this partcular case John's needs to release the agg server are not
in sync with my ability to release a new version of the Java-DODS core.

Nathan