Re: 20020111: read nc-files

>To: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden
>Subject: read nc-files

Hi Yeonjoo,

> I'd like to read nc-files.  So, I got netcdf.zip and prebuilt binary
> for Window. Also I've installed Cygwin.  But I don't know how to use
> netcdf in cygwin because there's no instruction for my situation.  I
> just extract netcdf.zip and pre-built binary files in netcdf3.5.0
> directory on Cygwin.  But I don't know how to install succesfully.
> Please let me know how to read ncfiles.
>
> In addition, the followings're my system:
> Window2000/Cygwin
> MS Visual C++ 6.0 (C:\program fiels\)
> netcdf3.5.0 (C:\cygwin\)

If you just want to see what is in a netCDF file, you can use the
"ncdump.exe" command-line program that was built for your system.  You
should install the "ncdump.exe" and "ncgen.exe" programs somewhere on
your system where they will be found when you invoke them from a
command line.

For example, if you have a netcdf file named "foo.nc" and you just
want to see what dimensions, variables, and attributes are defined in
the file without actually seeing the data, you should be able to get
this information by just invoking:

  ndcump -h foo.nc

and you should be able to see all the data as well with

  ncdump foo.nc

If instead you want to be able to link other programs that use the
netcdf library, for example data browsers that have graphical user
interfaces, you will need to install the appropriate libraries (such
as libnetcdf.a) and header files (such as netcdf.h) in directories
where they will be found by the compiler you are using.  Depending on
whether the programs you want to link with the netcdf library are
C, C++, Fortran77, Fortran90, Java, or some other language that
supports a netCDF interface, instructions for how to do this differ.

If you have source for a particular application that uses netcdf and
you need to link the application with the library, instructions for
how to do this are often part of the application building and
installation instructions.

If you just want a pre-built application to visualize netCDF data, some
of the applications listed at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html

are available in binary form ...

--Russ