Re: 20011226: RubyNetCDF ver.0.3.2 released

>To: address@hidden
>cc: address@hidden,
>cc: address@hidden
>From: Takeshi Horinouchi <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: [dennou-ruby:001011] RubyNetCDF ver.0.3.2 released

Hi,

> My colleagues and I have made an interface of the NetCDF library
> for the interpreted, object-oriented language Ruby
> (http://www.ruby-lang.org/). Ruby is similar to Python, but is
> arguably better than Python in many aspects. Its use is now
> getting popular explosively (especially in Japan but in other
> countries as well).
>
> Please find our Ruby interface at
>
>   http://www.gfd-dennou.org/arch/ruby/products/ruby-netcdf/
>
> This interface covers (or is intended to cover) the entire
> functions of the C library of NetCDF. Also availabe are
> combination functions such as itterators (which offer abstract
> ways to scan files and variables).  Numeric arrays are handled
> by the "NArray" multi-dimensional array class, which is becoming
> the de facto standard multi-dimensional array for Ruby as is
> NumPy for Python.
>
> I would appreciate it if a link to the address above is made in
> the NetCDF homepage. I would also appreciate comments and
> suggestions.

Thank you for developing this interface and for letting us know about
it.  I have added a link to an entry about the Ruby interface on the
netCDF home page as well as in the "What's New with NetCDF?" page at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/whatsnew.html

and to our "Software for Manipulating or Displaying NetCDF Data" page
at:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html

Please let me know if you see any medications needed to either of
these descriptions of the Ruby interface.  In particular, I have used
"Takeshi Horinouchi and colleagues" for the "What's New" entry but "A
group at the Radio Science Center ... of Kyoto University" for the
"Software" entry, but would be happy to change either one to make sure
I get the credits right.

You might also want to publicize the Ruby interface by posting a
notice about it to the mailing list "address@hidden", or
I could post such an announcement, if you'd prefer.

Thanks again for contributing this software to the netCDF community!

--Russ