Re: 20011116: MacOS X: FINK install of netcdf fails

>To: address@hidden
>From: Dierk Polzin <address@hidden>
>Subject: MacOS X: FINK install of netcdf fails

Hi Dierk,

> Russ, I am still working on this and get the same errors.. while
> trying to compile with Absoft fortran 7.0.
>
> it till chokes..
> cfortran.h:132: "cfortran.h: Can't find your environment among:
>   - MIPS cc and fortran 77 etc etc etc..
>

> Even tho I added a line at the top of cfortran.h
> #define AbsoftUnixFortran
> or
> #define AbsoftProFortran
>
> it still gives the error..
>
> Can I give you a remote login with root access to try and compile this..

It looks like the problem may be with cfortran.h, a header file that
we don't maintain but do distribute with our netCDF software.  It's
possible that using a more recent version of cfortran.h will solve the
problem.

So try replacing the 4.1 version of src/fortran/cfortran.h in your
netCDF distribution with the 4.3 version of cfortran.h available from

  http://www-zeus.desy.de/~burow/cfortran/cfortran.h

Then see if remaking the netCDF libraries works.  The documentation
claims it supports Fortran to C including Absoft compilers on many
Unix platforms, but it does not specifically mention Mac OS X:

  http://www-zeus.desy.de/~burow/cfortran/cfortran.html

Please let us know if version 4.3 of cfortran.h solves the problem.
If not, you may have to use g77 or f2c, which work OK on the MacOS X
platform.  It might help to report the AbsoftPro/MacOSX problem to the
author of cfortran.h, in case he can suggest how to make this
combination work.  Alternatively, you can send the details of the
failure to us and we may be able to suggest a workaround ...

--Russ