Re: 20011019: new C++ interface to netCDF 3.X C library

>To: netCDF Support <address@hidden>
>cc: Charlie Zender <address@hidden>
>From: Charlie Zender <address@hidden>
>Subject: new C++ interface to netCDF 3.X C library

Hi Charlie,

> I wanted to give you at Unidata a heads up on a new C++ interface
> to netCDF that is ready to open up to outside development.
> It works, but is incomplete, and needs comments/criticism and possibly
> design changes. I encourage you to include it in future versions
> of netCDF once it's finished so I want to get your feedback at
> an early stage. I'll send a note to the netcdf group about this
> once I put it on Sourceforge CVS.
>
> ftp://dust.ps.uci.edu/pub/zender/nco_c++/nco_c++-0.1.1.tar.gz

This is great news!  I won't have time to look at it until next week,
but I've been hoping we could get some help improving our neglected
C++ interface or chucking it for a better one.

I actually have plans to eventually move the rest of netCDF to
SourceForge as well.  At the same time, I'd like to upgrade it to use
GNU autoconf/automake/libtool if possible to automatically handle
things such as Windows DLLs, shared libraries, and all the many
versions of C++ standard-conformance.  For the latter, I had
identified AC_CXX_HAVE_STD and AC_CXX_NAMESPACES from the Autoconf
Macro Archive at https://sourceforge.net/projects/ac-archive/ to
handle that problem.

Thanks for all your efforts on behalf of netCDF!

--Russ