Re: 20010924: Network Common Data Format

>To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
>From: "Dilley, Jonathan" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Network Common Data Format

Hi Jon,

>       We at PKI incorporate your NETCDF into our Sitechart software. As
> such is the case, even if this is "freeware", we are required to make sure
> that there are no export control issues that arise from this usage.
>
>       I need the following information:
>
>       1. If you export this software, I need the Export Commodity Control
> Number (ECCN) as set out by the US Dept of Commerce, Bureau of Export
> Administration        concerning encryption/security functionality.

We don't have an ECCN, since the software has no encryption/security
functionality.

>       2. If you do not export the software, or have not worked with the
> Export Regs to date, I have attached a questionnaire that will allow me to
> classify the product on       your behalf.
>
>       Please contact me directly if you have any questions.

OK, I've filled out the questionnaire and appended it to this message.

--Russ

PerkinElmer Analytical Instruments
Software Classification Questionnaire

Product name: Sitechart software

Version: ?

Part Number: ?

Manufacturer: PKI ?

Questionnaire completed by:

Name: Russ Rew

Title: Head, Unidata Development and Support

Phone #: 303-497-8645

E-mail address: address@hidden

This questionnaire is designed to gather the information necessary to classify
software for export control purposes.  "Software" is defined as an executable
program.  A data file (even if stored on a disk), a report or manual is
"technical
data," not "software," and this questionnaire should not be used for such
items.
All operating systems, whether or not they are sold separately, are "software."

General Questions

1.  What is the software designed to do (Please be specific)?

    NetCDF (network Common Data Form) is an interface for
    array-oriented data access and a library that provides an
    implementation of the interface. The netCDF library also defines a
    machine-independent format for representing scientific data. For
    more information, see the netCDF website:
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

2.  Is the software for the design or development of another item or
    product?  If so, indicate what item.

    Sitechart software

3.  If the item is operating software for a hardware item, indicate
    what hardware it supports (Please specify model name and product
    line).

    Does not apply.

4.  Does the software incorporate any third-party code or modules?  If
    so, please specify:

    No

5.  Is the software in beta-test version?

    No, unless you are using the netCDF 3.5.1 beta test version.

Eligibility for "mass market" treatment

6.  Is the software sold through any of the following: (Please
    identify those that apply)

    No, it's freely available from the Internet.

7.  Is the software designed for user installation?

    Yes.

8.  Is the software customized to user specifications?

    Yes, it is designed to be built from source on whatever platform
    the user has.

General Questions on Encryption

Note: For export control purposes, "encryption" includes encryption of a
password or PIN on a local machine.

Does the software contain such an encrypted password, PIN or similar
security feature? If yes, continue with question 9. If no, do not complete the
rest of the questionnaire.

    No.

Please complete and return to the
International Trade Compliance Department

Phone: (203) 402-1942
Fax: (203) 925-6798
E-mail: address@hidden

10/09/01