Re: NetCDF manual in Japanese

Russ,

>Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:40:36 -0600
>From: Russ Rew <address@hidden>
>To: address@hidden (Masato Shiotani)
>Subject: Re: NetCDF manual in Japanese

> > "This is a two layer cache. The first (synchronous) layer is composed
> > of 256 8-block buffers in memory, the second (asynchronous) layer is
> > composed of 4 1024-block buffers on the SSD. This scheme works well
> > when accesses proceed through the dataset in random waves roughly
> > 2x1024-blocks wide."
> >
> > What is "random waves"?  Is this a special method to access buffers?
>
> Steve Emmerson wrote this.  I'll try to get him to provide a simpler
> description or explain what is meant by "random waves", since I don't
> understand it either.

The late Glenn Davis wrote this. I believe that it means that access to
the data is relatively random on a large scale but relatively sequential
on a small scale. For the above example, imagine accessing the data in
random segments -- where a segment is 2 1024-byte blocks of data -- but
within a segment, accessing the data sequentially.

--
Regards,