20010719: maybe install problem...

>From: "Philipp J. Miehe" <address@hidden>

Philipp,

>I have installed netcdf-3.3.1. Everything seemed to work out fine, the
>test went nicely and I was thinking since I didn't get any errors that
>this must have went alright. But running my application I get the
>following error:
>
>ncdimdef: ncid 12: NC_UNLIMITED size already in use
>     Error creating netCDF dimension LAY
>     netCDF error number  -54  processing file "AQOUT"
>     NC_UNLIMITED size already in use
>
>I was just wondering if I can get more information about that error from
>you - if it is an read error, that it cannot read the file or
>something... It would help me out a lot.

A netCDF file can have only one unlimited dimension.  The error shown
indicates that the CDL for your netCDF has more than one unlimited
dimension.  Can you send us your CDL?  If the file already exists and
you are trying to read it, can you send the output of 'ncdump -h filename'
(where 'filename' is the name of your netCDF file)?

>I am running this system on a Sun Enterprise using SunOS 5.7, if you
>need any more information I will send it to you right away. If there is
>a description on the errors please let me know too, then I would be
>happy to read through it before you start doing anything on this.

The errors for each netCDF function are contained in the section on that
function in the netCDF User's Guide for C:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guidec/

The error for an unlimited dimension already in use can be found in
the section '6-Dimensions' in '6.1 Create a Dimension: nc_def_dim'.

>Thank you very much,
>pj

Tom Yoksas