20010716: building "-r8" Fortran interface

Sue,

>Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:39:52 +1000
>From: "Xue (Sue) YANG" <address@hidden>
>To: "Steve Emmerson" <address@hidden>
>Subject: RE: 20010706: size of netCDF Fortran real

> Hi Steve,
>
> In our software system written in Fortran, all the variables type REAL are
> defined as 64 bits size ( 8 bytes, by compiling). This system needs to call
> netcdf libraries to write the data stored in the real type variables to netcdf
> type NF_FLOAT(32bits) in the file. Can we use the interface NF_PUT_VAR_REAL?
> the libraries on our Irix6.5 machine gives us error message if we use it,
> but it works OK if we use NF_PUT_VAR_double. Can we re-compile the netcdf
> libraries so that we can use NF_PUT_VAR_REAL rather than NF_PUT_VAR_double for
> our 8-bype real type data? If so, would you give us any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sue YANG

It should be possible to build the netCDF package using the the IRIX
Fortran compile with the "-r8" option (I just did this).  After that, it
should be possible to use the ...VAR_REAL routines to access NF_FLOAT
data.

Note that the Fortran-90 interface of the the netCDF library cannot be
built if the "-r8" option is used.

Please keep me apprised.

Regards,