Re: 20010710: help

>To: <address@hidden>
>From: "Bao Jinsong" <address@hidden>
>Subject: help

Hi,

> When I install netcdf4.3 in my SGI workstation (IRIS6.5),
> I meet any problems:
>
> cc-1084 c89:ERROR File =/usr/include/stddef.h,Line =46
> The declaration contains a duplicate specifier,
> Typede unsighend int size_t;
> As follow there are results, when I run configure command.

> checking for m4... (cached) m4
> checking for xlc... (cached) c89
> checking C compiler... works
> checking how to make dependencies... cc -M
> checking for CC... (cached) CC
> checking C++ compiler "CC"... works
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) /lib/cpp
> checking for f77... (cached) f77
> checking for Fortran .F compiler...

All the occurrences of "(cached)" in the output of the configure
script mean that the configure script is using answers from running
configure previously.  Make sure you aren't trying to run the
configure script from the same directory after running it on a
different kind of computer or operating system, because then the
previous (cached) values would be wrong for IRIX6.5.  To ensure you
are configuring without using previous values, you can remove the file
"config.cache" and run "make clean" before running the configure
script.

It also appears as if there is something wrong with the installation
of your compilers, because the "config.log" contains messages such as

> Feature start date is in the future (-31,34)

(this indicates the date on your system is incorrect) and

>  This product (cc) requires a license password.
>  For license installation and trouble shooting
>  information visit the web page:
>
>          http://www.sgi.com/Support/Licensing/install_docs.html
>
>  To obtain a Permanent license (proof of purchase
>  required) or an Evaluation license please
>  visit our license request web page:
>
>          http://www.sgi.com/Products/license.html
>
>          or send a blank email message to:
>
>          address@hidden
>
>  In North America, Silicon Graphics' customers may request
>  Permanent licenses by sending a facsimile to:
>
>          (650) 390-0537
>
>          or by calling our technical support hotline
>
>          1-800-800-4SGI
>
>  If you are Outside of North America or you are not a Silicon
>  Graphics support customer then contact your local support provider.

which indicates the compiler is not installed correctly or the license
has expired.

Also the message in config.log

> configure:1235: c89 -E -traditional-cpp -O -DNDEBUG conftest.c >/dev/null
> 2>conftest.out
> c89 WARNING:  raditional-cpp is no longer supported, use -Y instead

indicates you are including "-traditional-cpp" in the CFLAGS or
CPPFLAGS environment variable, but the SGI c89 compiler does not
understand this option.  "traditional-cpp" is an option understood by
the GNU gcc compiler, but not by c89.  This may be another indication
that you are trying to build on IRIX6.5 using settings appropriate for
a different OS/compiler combination.

After you get your compiler configuration working, you might have
better luck installing netCDF 3.5, a newer version, which is available
from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

We also make a precompiled version for IRIX6.5 available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/binary/irix_6.5-mips/netcdf-3.5.0.tar.Z

in case you want to install it from binaries instead of source.

--Russ