Re: Unidata Support: 20010702: netCDF C++ library on Windows

To: <address@hidden>
From: "Iain Buchanan" <address@hidden>
Subject: re: netcdf support

Hi,
I am having severe problems getting netcdf to work with c++ in the win32
environment (specifically windows nt5).  I have spent days searching
articles, readme's and faq's, but there is not a lot of help for the c++
interface.  I have successfully compiled the libraries for the c interface,
static and dll, but not for c++.  Is there a pre-compiled c++ library? If

not, is there a makefile for compiling it for c++?

We do not have a precompiled version of the c++ library for windows, due to incompatabilities of the make files in the Windows envoronment. We are working on this, but our solution will use MS Visual C++ 6.0, and will likely not work using the Watcom compiler, which we do not have.

I have compiled a
library called libnetcdf_c++.a, but this seems to be a gcc library and does
not seem to be compatible for watcom, which I am using.  I cannot switch to
gcc, because other areas of my program require libraries compatible with
watcom and not with gcc.  (Unfortunately these are commercial.  - go open
source!!).  libnetcdf_c++.a seems to be made with netcdf.cpp and
ncvalues.cpp, but when I make these (successfully) and link them as object
files with my source, I still get the same undefined reference errors.

what are the error messages?

I would post this question to address@hidden to see if anyone has made this work with Watcom.