Re: NetCDF manual in Japanese

Masato,

> I have discussed with our colleagues about the mirror site.
>
> A question raised is what part of the NetCDF resources we will mirror.
>
> In your mirror site page
>
>       http://unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/mirrors.html
>
> it seems that they mirror only netcdf sources, not whole web
> informations.
>
> We may set a mirror web site or a mirror ftp site.  Which would you
> like to prefer?
>
> Inclusion of the documents would be good for users; in this case a
> mirror web site seems better...

I think the main purpose of a mirror site is to improve access to
frequently requested software or documentation, where access is
currently inadequate due to an overloaded server or not enough network
bandwidth.  In the future, there may be less need for mirror sites as
networks and servers improve, and as automatic caching of
content occurs.

We don't know whether access to materials on our FTP or web sites is
currently bad enough to justify a mirror site for the FTP and web
materials.  If access to the web materials is currently OK, I guess I
would prefer not to mirror those, since then we could know exactly
what gets accessed and how often.  Also, we are in the process of
changing our web site to register users for access to some new forums
and interactive resources.  This new web site structure will require a
database running on our server, which would be impractical to mirror.

But feel free to copy or mirror whatever you need to support access to
netCDF software or documentation locally, including Japanese versions
of some pages if that seems like the best way to serve your users.

--Russ