20010626: column (netcdf)?

Mark,

> To: <address@hidden>
> From: Mark Takala <address@hidden>
> Subject: column?
>
> I am looking for a way to convert our data to netcdf.
> in order to do it i need to take columns from our "sond" files.
> (that is how the data is formatted- it is in columns.)
> essentially, i need to "cut and paste" a column.  Not a row
> as it is normally done.  Then I need to put commas between
> each value.  Is there an accepted way to do this that
> you know of?
>
> Thanks much,
> Mark

There's nothing in the netCDF package that will do what you want.

Because the data is textual, you could use ordinary Unix utilities (e.g.
sed, awk, cut) to create an appropriate CDL file.

Some of the packages mentioned at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html

might do what you want.

Regards,