Re: 20010611: Cursor tracking

>To: "'address@hidden.'" <address@hidden>
>From: "Akay, Abdullah" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Cursor tracking

Hi,

> I have a DEM(Digital Elevetion Model)of a 50 ha area. I saved the DEM in
> text format which contains x,y,z coordinates for 1 m by 1m squares. I was
> wondering if NetCDF can help me to display this DEM. In addition, after DEM
> is displayed on the screen,  I am plannnig to use mouse to draw lines on
> this DEM, and then read and store x,y,z coordinates along this lines to
> compute volume of these lines. thanks.

If you can get the data in the form of an "ArcGrid ASCII export file",
you can view it with DEMViewer:

 http://www.geogr.uni-jena.de/~p6taug/demviewer/demv.html

If you wanted to use software for netCDF instead, you would first have
to convert the DEM data to netCDF, by writing a small program to read
the text data in and write it to a netCDF file.  You could use
whichever language your are most familiar with that has a netCDF
interface, including C, Fortran-77, Fortran-90, Java, C++, Perl, or
Python.  If you use C or Fortran, you could use the "ncgen" utility
with "-c" or "-f" options to generate the C or Fortran code for you,
if you supply a simple text version of the netCDF file you want using
the "CDL" notation, as described in the netCDF User's Guide or at

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guidec/guidec-7.html

Once you have the data in netCDF form, there are several 3-D
visualization packages that might be used to display it, described
briefly on the Software for NetCDF Data page at:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html

--Russ