Re: 20010514: Error compiling NetCDF3.5.0

>To: <address@hidden>
>From: Kendal McGuffie <address@hidden>
>Subject: Error compiling NetCDF3.5.0

Hi Kendal,

> I get the following error when building NetCDF 3.5.0 and was wondering if
> you had any pointers to help me get over it.  I have already built the
> distribution on our local SGI Indy (IRIX6.5.10) and was building on a SGI
> Origin 2400 (IRIX6.5.11m)when the error occurred. I've searched the online
> archives, but can't find any reference to a 'malformed archive' error.
>
> I messed about a bit and built a couple of the modules in the list below
> manually using "cc -c v1hpg.c" and that got over the problem for this stage,
> but the files in the src/fortran directory did not respond to the same
> treatment.
>
>         c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG error.c
>         c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG -DVERSION=`cat ../VERSION` libvers.c
>         c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG nc.c
>         c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG ncio.c
>         c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG ncx.c
>         c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG putget.c
>         c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG string.c
>         c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG v1hpg.c
>         c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG v2i.c
>         c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG var.c
>         ar cru libnetcdf.a attr.o  dim.o  error.o  libvers.o  nc.o  ncio.o
> ncx.o  putget.o  string.o  v1hpg.o  v2i.o  var.o
> ar: Error: malformed archive (at 127276)
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)

We can't duplicate this problem here and haven't seen it reported
before.  Could you please send us more details: the environment
variables you used to specify the build environment for the configure
script and the other information listed under the Reporting Problems
section of the INSTALL document at:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

Thanks.

--Russ