20010319: merging 3rd-party version 2 & 3 libraries

Steven,

> To: address@hidden
> cc: address@hidden,
> cc: address@hidden
> From: address@hidden
> Subject: netcdf 2.3.2 - 3.4

>                         Hi,
>

>         I am an engineer at Raytheon, Denver, and I have a question
>      regarding netcdf.  I have two appliction libraries, each containing
>      embedded netcdf calls, one using 2.3.2, and the other, 3.4.  The one
>      using 2.3.2 comes with a modified netcdf library.

Modified?

>      Is there a way to link these two appliction libraries to create
>      an executable?  What we've found is either duplicate symbols from
>      2.3.2 - 3.4, or unresolved symbols from netcdf 3.4 calls that
>      don't exist in 2.3.2
>

>                                 Steven Jackson

A netCDF version 3 library should contain a backward-compatible netCDF
version 2 interface that simply translates version 2 calls into version
3 calls.  Thus, you should be able to eliminate use of the version 2
library altogether.  Perhaps you could remove the version 2 netCDF
object files from the library that contains them and then always link-in
the library that contains the version 3 object files.

Regards,