20010316: NetCDF for Redhat Linux 6.2: Portland Group Fortran

P. W. Li;

> To: address@hidden
> From: pwli <address@hidden>
> Subject: NetCDF for Redhat Linux 6.2

> Please advice how I can install NetCDF3.4 on my Linux PC running Redhat
> 6.2 with pgf77 and pgf90.    It appears from reading the INSTALL file
> that the making process requires some sort of fort77 and f2c utilities
> which don''t come with standard Linux distribution.  Any get around?

Version 3.4 of the netCDF package doesn't support the Portland Group's
Fortran compiler.  Version 3.5-beta8 does, however.  I therefore suggest
that you obtain the latter version and install it.  Installation
instructions and examples for Linux and the Portland Group's Fortran
compiler will be found in the top-level file "INSTALL.html".

> In fact, I also tried to build NetCDF3.5beta6 on the same machine.  The
> making process seems to be okay but I found that some include files such
> as netcdf.inc disappears from the compiled package.  Is there any
> problem with the beta6 version?  Can I just copy the netcdf.inc file
> from version 3.4 to ver3.5beta6?

I don't understand why you're missing the file "src/fortran/netcdf.inc".
That file is in both the beta6 and beta8 versions of the netCDF package.
Also, it is not removed by any makefile rule.

Do NOT copy a "netcdf.inc" file from a previous version.

Regards,