20010205: FTP access from .com addresses

>From: "Neilley, Peter" <address@hidden>

Peter,

>Hello Unidata supporters!  Greetings from the newly transplanted P. Neilley
>now at WSI.

I had heard that you were leaving RAP, and I thought I heard that you
actually had, but this makes it official.  Contradulations on your new
job!

>Although I forget who, people have asked me when the learn that
>I came from Boulder, "Oh do you know Don Murray, or Do you know Tom Yoksas?"
>Evidently some old school mates have found thier way here as well.

It would be very interesting to know who the folks are.  It's nice to
keep up with old friends.

>Anyway, I'm trying to grab some software from ftp.unidata.ucar.edu and
>running into trouble.  I thought that LDM and netCDF are freely available
>including to .com's.  Is that true?

Yes, absolutely.

>I keep getting service denied errors when trying to get to
>ftp.unidata.ucar.edu by either pftp or from my browser.  I checked from my
>old account on a machine over at RAP and had no problem gettting to the sites.

Are you sure that you have write permission to the directory you are
trying to FTP from?  This is the most common cause of FTP failures.

>Do I need to do something first (e.g. sign a license?) before being able to
>access LDM and netCDF from WSI?

No, these copyrighted packages are open to downloads by anyone.  I just
checked out FTP logs and see downloads for the netCDF from a huge
variety of addresses including '.com's as recently as last Friday.
Also, I verified that the read/write permissions on the files have not
changed since then, so you should be able to grab it with no problems.

>Also, what's the best (if any) LDM binary distribution to use on a RedHat
>Linux 6.2 machine?  Or is it best to build from scratch?

We have LDM 5.1.2 available as both source and binary distributions for
systems running the Linux 2.2 kernel.  The binaries were built on
RedHat 6.2, so you really do have your choice.

>Thanks.

Again, congradulations on your new job!

>Peter Neilley

Tom Yoksas