Re: RMI with netCDF and java

Hi Brian,

Just a bit more info on DODS Java ...

The DODS Java release contains the DODS core API for building DODS
clients and DODS servers; the DODS SQL server which can serve data from
any DB with JDBC; and the Geturl client, a simple command line client.
As Steve mentioned, there is some work going on here at Unidata on other
DODS client options.

So, currently if you went with DODS, you would need to use the DODS
netCDF server which is not written in Java. On the client side, the DODS
Java API would allow you to directly access DODS served data in your
client. As the work here proceeds, there will be the VisAD option Steve
mentioned and we're also looking at linking DODS directly to the netCDF
java package.

The DODS Java release is still in Beta and is available at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/dods/home/swJava-B1.0/

The JavaDocs are available at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/dods/api/javaDocs/dap/

Send any DODS question to address@hidden.

Hope this is helpful.

Ethan
address@hidden

--
Ethan R. Davis                       Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                    Fax:       (303) 497-8690