Re: 20001106 NetCDF and Lahey

>From: Dirk Slawinski <address@hidden>
>Subject: NetCDF and Lahey

Hi Dirk,

>    we here at the Centre for Water Research have been an advocate of NetCDF
> for several years now and in so doing have made it our data
> standard.  Recently we have decided to migrate our models and tools from
> Tru64 to NT/Linux to meet our clients' need for desktop solutions.  In
> doing this we have selected Lahey F95 as our compiler of choice.  I was
> very disappointed to find out that Lahey and NetCDF do not seem to mesh
> well.  I have tried using the precompiled static libraries and even tried
> to recompile them with MS Visual C as per desired by Lahey.  In all cases I
> get "unresolved external symbol" for the NetCDF bits.  It amazing that even
> if you follow the documentation things do not always work out.
>
>    If you know of anyone who has successfully compiled a Lahey program that
> uses NetCDF under Win32 that info would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

I typed in the keyword "Lahey" in the search in the "netCDF support
email archive" at the bottom of the netCDF home page
<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/>, and it pointed to the
following:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/3903

which reports on successfully compiling netCDF for Lahey f95 using the
following environment variable settings:

>     setenv CXX /usr/bin/g++
>     setenv CC /usr/bin/gcc
>     setenv CFLAGS '-march=pentiumpro -O2'
>     setenv FC /usr/local/lf95/bin/lf95
>     setenv CPPFLAGS -DNAGf90Fortran
>
> The library compiles, but "make test" stops here:

> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/hnv/netcdf/netcdf-3.4/src/fortran'
> + /usr/local/lf95/bin/lf95 -c -O ftest.F
> "ftest.F", line 7: error: #include: cannot find file "nfconfig.inc"

and then suggests more about how to get around the missing
"nfconfig.inc" problem.  This sounds like it got further in building
with Lahey on a Unix platform, so maybe that will help for your
attempt to build from source on Linux.  We still don't have access to
Lahey compilers here, which makes it difficult for us to try to debug
problems with Lahey compilers.

I saw your posting on Nov 2 to the netcdfgroup mailing list asking
whether anyone else had had any success compiling netCDF on Win32
platforms with Lahey compilers.  Did anyone respond?

There was another note to the netcdfgroup in February that
reported some success with netCDF using a Lahey compilers on a
Fujitsu/Linux platform that may be of some help:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdfgroup-list/1297

--Russ