Re: 20001102: ncdump help

>To: address@hidden
>From: xiaoxia dong
>Subject: Re: ncdump help

Hi,

> i am trying to using ncdump utilities to convert a netcdf file to CDF
> file. Could you tell me how to do it?

I don't think ncdump would be very useful for that purpose.  ncdump
creates CDL text output from netCDF binary input.  I don't know of any
program that reads CDL text files and produces CDF binary files.

> also where i can find the manual for ncdump options?

The ncdump manual page is here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?ncdump

There is a link to ncgen and ncdump documentation from the netCDF
documentation web page at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/docs.html

> My goal is to convert netCDF file to HDF file. CDF file is only mediate
> step, except this approach, any other
> suggestions that i can convert netCDF to HDF file and vice versa?

I think there are easier ways to convert a netCDF file to an HDF
file.  For example, here is a utility program that does it:

  http://ioc.unesco.org/iodekit/website/module2/toolbox/netcdfhdf.htm

Another possibility is lats4d, described here:

  http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/grads_listserv/msg01894.html

You might be able to find others by entering "hdf" as a search keyword
to see email replies to support messages we have gotten from the
"netCDF support email archive" link at the bottom of the netCDF home
page at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

--Russ