Re: 20001026: netCDF 3.4 build problems on HP-UX B10.20

>From: Dusan Odstrcil <address@hidden>
>Subject: problems on hp-ux

Dusan,

Oops, sorry, when I said:

>     1.  Go to the top-level source directory.
>
>     2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 near the end of the INSTALL file.
>
>     3.  Ensure that the environment variable FFLAGS contains the strings
>         "-O 3" and "-D_HPUX_SOURCE".
>
>     4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 near the end of the INSTALL file.

step 3 *should* have been

    3.  Ensure that the environment variable CPPFLAGS contains the string
        "-D_HPUX_SOURCE" and that the environment variable FFLAGS
        contains the string "-O 3".

Incidentally, a setting for environment variables that works for HPUX
10 is in the INSTALL file that comes with the netCDF source
distribution:

 HP-UX robin B.10.20 E 9000/715 2010262449 8-user license

       Note:  Subtle problems that may be difficult to diagnose
       reportedly result if a C application compiled without the "+a" C
       flag is linked against the library compiled with the "+a" C flag.

     CC=/bin/c89
     CPPFLAGS="-D_HPUX_SOURCE -DNDEBUG"
     CFLAGS=-O
     FC=/opt/fortran/bin/fort77          # might be /usr/bin/fort77 instead
     FFLAGS="-O3 -w"
     CXX=/usr/bin/CC

Sorry again for getting the fix wrong, I just copied it from a
previous reply that was evidently wrong.

--Russ