Re: 20001026: netCDF 3.4 build problems on HP-UX B10.20

>From: Dusan Odstrcil <address@hidden>
>Subject: problems on hp-ux

Hi Dusan,

> Dear NetCDF,
>   I wish to install the version 3.4 on HP-UX B10.20 A 9000/785
> but I have problems.
>   The ./configure --prefix=<directory> command produced the
> following messages:
>
> -----
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for m4... m4
> checking for xlc... no
> checking for c89... c89
> checking C compiler... works
> checking how to make dependencies... false
> checking for CC... no
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for c++... c++
> checking C++ compiler "c++"... works
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... c89 -E
> checking for fort77... fort77
> checking for Fortran .F compiler...
> checking if Fortran compiler handles *.F files... yes
> checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"... nm:  conftest.o:
> cannot open
> configure: error: not found
> ----
>
> and created the following config.log file:
> configure:1373: fort77 -c -O conftest.f
> fort77: POSIX 1003.2 mandates opt level following -O; expected values 0-4,
> received: conftest.f; ignored

On your platform, the "-O" option to the "fort77" compiler requires a
numeric argument.  This means that the FFLAGS environment variable
must be appropriately set before executing the configure script.

Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 near the end of the INSTALL file.

    3.  Ensure that the environment variable FFLAGS contains the strings
        "-O 3" and "-D_HPUX_SOURCE".

[Note the above was subsequently found to be wrong.  Should have been:
    3.  Ensure that the environment variable CPPFLAGS contains the string
        "-D_HPUX_SOURCE" and that the environment variable FFLAGS
        contains the string "-O 3".
]

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 near the end of the INSTALL file.

Please let us know if this doesn't fix the problem.

--Russ