Re: netCDF v 3.5 - Win32 (?)

>From: Alan Imerito <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF variable, attribute and dimension limits

Alan,

> Thank you for your suggestions below. They corrected the error we were
> getting on our unix platform (Compaq Tru64). However, I still have this
> problem porting the code to Win32 (NT platform). The error is the same
> as before for the unix platform (i.e., as per [2] below).
>
> For Win32 I downloaded the following
>
> ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-3.5.win32make.ZIP
> and unzipped it under the impression that - being v 3.5 - it had the same fix
> as the the download you suggested previously (which was 3.5-beta4 -
>    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-beta.tar.Z).
>
> Questions:
> 1.  The v 3.5 for Win32 does not appear to correspond with v 3.5-beta of
>     the unix version; it seems to be closer to v 3.4. Is this correct -
>     i.e., that the version numbers for Win32 packages and unix don't
>     correspond?

Yes, unfortunately that is correct.  The Win32 version was created
from an intermediate version between 3.4 and 3.5 so it doesn't have
all the fixes that are in the current 3.5-beta5 distribution.  We'll
correct this soon, either by renaming the Win32 distribution to the
appropriate earlier beta version or (preferably) by bringing it up to
date.  We plan to make a final 3.5 release in the next couple of
weeks, so we hope to be able to get these releases back in synch by
then.

> 2.  Is there an available version for Win32 which has a fix for the
>     problem?

Not yet.

> I shall attempt to compile for Win32 using source code from netcdf-beta.tar.Z
> next.

We'll be interested in any problems you encounter.  We mostly develop on
Unix platforms here, so testing and refitting to Win32 and other
platforms typically occurs late in a release cycle.

--Russ