Re: 20001015: Installation problems

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Dr. Kent L. Miller" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Installation problems

Hi Dr. Miller,

>       I am trying to install netcdf-3.4.tar.Z without success.  Here are
> the diagnostics that you requested:
>
> A) uname -a
> Linux darkstar-1.kmc.com 2.2.16 #1 Tue Jul 4 09:50:58 EDT 2000 i486
> unknown
>
> B) VERSION
> 3.4
>
> C) compiler pathnames (note that cc, c++ and f77 are links)
> /usr/bin/cc  -> /usr/bin/gcc
> /usr/bin/c++ -> /usr/bin/g++
> /usr/bin/f77 -> /usr/bin/g77
>
> D) configure.log  is attached
>
> E) config.log is attached
>
> F) make.log is attached
>
> G,H) did not get that far.
>
> Note:  I believe that your software expects a library (-lg2c) which does
> not exist on my machine.  The following command came up empty
>
> cd /usr
> ls -R | grep "g2c"
>
> Please let me know what to do.

I have just tried building netCDF-3.4 on a linux_2.2-i686 (RedHat 7.0)
platform, setting the following environment variables before running
the "configure" script:

 CC=egcs
 CPPFLAGS="-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran"
 CFLAGS=-O
 FC=f77
 FFLAGS="-O -Wno-globals"
 CXX=/usr/bin/g++

and everything worked fine, with no error messages.

Our netCDF software doesn't reference the g2c library (-lg2c), so it
looks like this is referenced by f77 (/usr/bin/g77) on your system.

Could you test this by trying to compile, link, and run a trivial
Fortran program, such as the following 2-line program, which you could
put in a file named "hello.f":
        print *, "hello world"
        end
Then try to compile, link, and run it with
  f77 -o hello hello.f; ./hello

If you get a message about "cannot open -lg2c: ...", we will know it
is your f77 installation that needs to be fixed.  You can build
netCDF-3.4 without a Fortran interface by just setting the
environment variable FC to "" before you run the configure script (rm
config.cache first also), if you just need the C or C++ interfaces.

Alternatively, you could try the latest netcdf-3.5 beta release, which
we have also tested on a Linux 2.2 platform with 77.  It is available
from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-beta.tar.Z

--Russ