Re: 20000908: netcdf 3.4 and linux (fwd)

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:47:27 -0600
From:    Russ Rew <address@hidden>
To:      Mariusz Pagowski <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: 20000908: netcdf 3.4 and linux

>To: address@hidden
>From: Mariusz Pagowski <address@hidden>
>Subject: netcdf 3.4 and linux

Hi Mariusz,

> I read on your web page that netcdf can be compiled under linux.
> After running confgure when I issue make I get an erorr about environment
> not matching:
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/mariusz/Stuff/netcdf/new/netcdf-3.4/src/fortran'
> cc -c -O -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG fort-attio.c
> In file included from ncfortran.h:13,
>                  from fort-attio.c:6:
> cfortran.h:151: #error "cfortran.h:  Can't find your environment among:\
> ..
> ..
> ..
> make[2]: *** [fort-attio.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/mariusz/Stuff/netcdf/new/netcdf-3.4/src/fortran'
> make[1]: *** [subdir_target] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mariusz/Stuff/netcdf/new/netcdf-3.4/src'
> make: *** [fortran/all] Error 2
>
> I have pgf90 on my pc but when I change it as suggested on your web page
> inux using Portland Group's pgf90 compiler

>             Geoffrey Vallis <address@hidden> reported that the
> following settings worked when
>             used in conjunction with the new src/fortran/cfortran.h file
> that will be in the next release:

>             CC=/usr/bin/cc
>             CPPFLAGS=-DpgiFortran
>             CFLAGS=-g
>             FC=pgf90
>             FFLAGS="-g -w"
>             CXX=/usr/bin/g++
>
> I get this
> cfortran.h:1: parse error before `/'
> make[2]: *** [fort-attio.o] Error 1

Use of the

  CPPFLAGS=-DpgiFortran

environment variable before you run the configure script will only
work with the netCDF 3.5 release, because that version has an updated
cfortran.h file that enables use with the pgf90 compiler.  You can get
the netCDF3.5-beta3 release (the latest available) from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.5-beta3.tar.Z

Alternatively, you should be able to use the netCDF 3.4 version with
the Linux fort77 compiler by following the instructions in the INSTALL
file, in particular making sure you have set the CPPFLAGS environment
variable before running the "configure" script.  Or, you could take
the cfortran.h file out of the netCDF 3.5 sources and use it with the
netCDF 3.4 version and the pgf90 compiler.

Please let us know if you have any more questions about this ...

--Russ

------- End of Forwarded Message