Re: 20000721: NetCDF and Excel ? (fwd)

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:02:22 -0600
From:    Russ Rew <address@hidden>
To:      [address withheld by request]
Subject: Re: 20000721: NetCDF and Excel ?

>To: address@hidden
>From: [address withheld by request]
>Subject: NetCDF and Excel ?

Hi

[Question asking about software to convert netCDF data to a
 spreadsheet format, such as Excel]

No, sorry, I have been unable to find a way to convert general netCDF
data directly to a spreadsheet format either.  At

  http://las.saa.noaa.gov/las-bin/climate_server/dset=50km+SST+GLOBAL

there is an example of a data archive that uses netCDF and makes the
data available in any of the forms:

    Plotted Image (GIF)
    Spreadsheet
    NetCDF file
    Tab-delimited file
    Comma-delimited file
    Generic ASCII file

but it has been set up only for data that follows certain
conventions.  The developers of this archive might have some utiliites
available that could be adapted to your purpose.

A couple of other approaches that require some programming are

 - read the data into MATLAB (or IDL or some similar commercail
   package) and see if there is a way to export the data for Excel or
   as comma-delimited text

 - use the ncdump utility that comes with netCDF to output the file
   into a CDL text file.  Write a perl (or awk or shell or python or
   ...) script to convert the CDL text representation (which already
   includes comma-delimited lists of values) into something Excel can
   import.

At your request, I'm not including your identity in this reply our
email support archives.

--Russ

------- End of Forwarded Message