Re: netCDF C++

>To: address@hidden
>From: Shen Yingshuo <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20000314: netCDF C++

Hi,

>   i have been using your netCDF c++ interface to process data here at
> iprc.  i wonder if it has been updated or not.  i can find any documents
> regarding this c++ interface.   also, do you know if there are some
> contributed codes (such as merge two netcdf datasets into single one...
> say,  if i want to merge 10 single datasets (year1950,
> year1951,.....year1959) into one single netCDF dataset.

Sorry, but there is no update for the C++ interface to netCDF
available.  The only documentation for the interface is the 20-page
document "NetCDF C++ Interface" available in compressed PostScript
form from

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/cxxdoc.ps.Z

or in HTML form from

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/cxxdoc_toc.html

Our plans had been to use what we learned in developing the Java
interface to write a new C++ implementation, but the loss of the main
developer, Glenn Davis, forced a change in plans.  We are continuing
to enhance the Java interface, but further development of the C++
interface is now on hold.

There are contributed codes to merge multiple netCDF files.  For
example, see the "ncrcat" and "ncks" tools that are part of the NCO
package described here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html#NCO

or the nccat.c source for nccat:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/contrib.html

or the program "nccatm" described here:

  http://www.gfdl.gov/~jps/GFDL_VG_NetCDF_Utils.html#nccat

or the "ncmerge" utility:

  http://www.gfdl.gov/~jps/GFDL_VG_NetCDF_Utils.html#ncmerge

I don't know where to get the sources for the latter two programs; you
may have to contact GFDL.

--Russ