Re: 20000225: building on SPARC ultra 4, SunOS 5.5.1: missing ar

Matt,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Thanks for the help Steve, I have managed to get a step further with the
> compilation.  However there still seems to be a problem with the file
> libnetcdf.a (it doesn't exist) the following is a log of my configure script
> results as well as my make all results:
>
> CONFIGURE SCRIPT:
>
> #! /bin/sh
>
> # From configure.in Id: configure.in
> M4=/usr/xpg4/bin/m4
> M4FLAGS=-B7168
>
> CPPFLAGS=-D__USE_FIXED_PROTOTYPES__
> CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc
>
> CFLAGS=-O
>
> FC=/usr/local/bin/g77
> FFLAGS=-O
> CXX=/usr/local/bin/gcc
>
> CONFIGURE RESULTS:
>
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for m4... /usr/xpg4/bin/m4
> checking user-defined C compiler "/usr/local/bin/gcc"
> checking C compiler... works
> checking for how to make dependencies... cc -xM
> checking for /usr/local/bin/gcc... /usr/local/bin/gcc
> checking C++ compiler "/usr/local/bin/gcc"... works
> checking user-defined FORTRAN compiler "/usr/local/bin/g77"... works
> checking for math library
> checking for -lc... no
> checking for -lm... yes
> checking FORTRAN-type equivalent to netCDF "byte"... byte
> checking FORTRAN-type equivalent to C "signed char"... byte
> checking FORTRAN fill-value for netCDF version 2 byte... -127
> checking FORTRAN-type equivalent to netCDF "short"... integer*2
> checking FORTRAN-type equivalent to C "short"... integer*2
> checking FORTRAN-type equivalent to netCDF "long"... integer*4
> checking FORTRAN-type equivalent to C "int"... integer
> checking FORTRAN-type equivalent to netCDF "float"... real*4
> checking FORTRAN-type equivalent to C "float"... real*4
> checking FORTRAN-type equivalent to netCDF "double"... real*8
> checking FORTRAN-type equivalent to C "double"... real*8
> checking for ar... :
> checking for ranlib... :

The configure script was unable to locate the "ar" and "ranlib"
utilities -- probably because your PATH environment variable was
inadequately set.  These utilities are necessary to build the netCDF
library.  The utilities on my SunOS 5.7 system are:

    $ type -a ar
    ar is /usr/xpg4/bin/ar
    ar is /usr/ccs/bin/ar

    $ type -a ranlib
    ranlib is /usr/ccs/bin/ranlib

Try the following:

    1.  Add the pathname of the directories that contains your "ar" and
        "ranlib"  utilities to your PATH environment variable.

    2.  Go to the top-level source directory of the netCDF package.

    3.  Perform steps 3 through 9 near the end of the INSTALL file.

Regards,