Re: 20000224: missing m4 utility on SPARC ultra 4, SunOS 5.5.1

Matt,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Hi I'm having dome trouble installing netCDF 3.3 on a SunOS 5.5.1
> Generic_103640-20 Sun4u sparc SUNW, ultra4 .
>

> * The best results I'm getting are with the following configure file:
>

> #! /bin/sh
>
> # From configure.in Id: configure.in
>
> CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran
>
> CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc
>
> CFLAGS=-O
>
> FC=/usr/local/bin/g77
>
> FFLAGS=-OCXX=/usr/local/bin/gcc
>

> * The folloing messages were displayed on the command line when executing the
> above script:
>

> creating cache ./config.cache
>
> checking for m4... no
>
> checking for gm4... no

There's the problem.  The configure script can't locate the "m4"
utility.  This utility is used to generate test code and manual pages.
On my SunOS 5.7 system, there are several versions of the utility:

    /usr/xpg4/bin/m4
    /usr/ccs/bin/m4
    /local/gnu/bin/m4
    /opt/gnu/bin/m4

Try the following:

    1.  Locate your m4 utility.

    2.  Add the pathname of the directory that contains the m4 utility
        to your PATH environment variable.

    3.  Go to the top-level source directory of the netCDF package.

    4.  Perform steps 3 through 9 near the end of the INSTALL file.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,