Re: 20000119: Problems downloading and unzipping

>To: address@hidden
>From: Mark Allen <address@hidden>
>Subject: Problems downloading and unzipping

Hi Mark,

> I am using a Mac G3 and Netscape 4.7. I've tried to download several
> different zipped versions of the NetCDF User's Guide for Fortran from
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html#howtoget>. I'm
> using Aladdin Systems Stuffit Deluxe 5.5 to unzip and unstuff. I always
> end up getting empty files. Do you have any idea what my problem is?

I think the problem is that the compressed versions use the Unix
"compress" program rather than "gzip", so they are compressed "*.Z"
files rather than gzipped "*.gz" files.  I thought StuffIt Deluxe
could handle these, but maybe you have to tell it they are in
compress format rather than gzipped format.

Alternatively, I've just created gzipped versions that you could try,
including a PDF version that might be easier to use on a Mac than the
PostScript:

PDF zipped (312 Kb): ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/guidef.pdf.gz
PostScript zipped (209 Kb): ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/guidef.ps.gz
HTML zipped (106 Kb): ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/guidef.html.tar.gz

--Russ