Re: 19991215: HP-UX 10.20: libnetcdf.a HAS OVERFLOW SYMBOLS

Eric,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I have a user who's trying to use libnetcdf.a when compiling some F90
> code on HP-UX 10.20 but is getting the following warning msg:
>
> Searching library /home/michal/lib//libnetcdf.a:
> WARNING:  LIBRARY /home/michal/lib//libnetcdf.a HAS OVERFLOW SYMBOLS;
> USE CLEANRL
>
> Does anyone there know what this means, what is causing it and/or what
> 'cleanrl' is?  We've been unsuccessful in tracking this down thus far.
> Thanks in advance for any info or advice.  If we need to provide more
> details, please let me know.

>   Eric Cunningham
>   Computer and Information Services
>   Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution  http://www.whoi.edu
>   Woods Hole, MA  02543-1541     voice: (508) 289-2224
>   fax: (508) 457-2174           e-mail: address@hidden

We've never seen this error before.

If the netCDF library was built on the HP-UX 10.20 system, then, as part
of the build process, Fortran test programs were linked against it and
successfully executed.  So, in this case, then problem lies outside of
the netCDF package.

If, however, the netCDF library was not built from source but, instead,
was obtained in binary form, then you might check to see that the
environment that was used to create the netCDF library (operating system
version, etc.) is the same as the environment it's be used in.

Regards,