Re: installing under Linux with Fujitsu f90: missing libfj9i6.so.1

Bjorn,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I am writing you because the archived email files at unidata indicate
> that you have some experience dealing with this issue.
>
> Basically I get the
>
> ncfortran.h:27: NF_INT_IS_C_... not defined: No such file or directory
>
> error when I try to make the netcdf libraries.  I am using redhat linux 6.0
> and the f90 compiler by fujitsu, you can download a 30 day trial from their
> website:
>
> http://www.tools.fujitsu.com
>
> click on the "free trials" lower left and select linux.

Regretably, we don't have the resources (i.e. time, personel, funding)
to make this a cost effective approach.  We've adopted the policy that
when a user's development environment is faulty, then it's the user's
responsiblity to fix it (see below for why I believe your development
environment is faulty).

> Anyway, among the different archive files I did not find solutions,
> but the archive that seemed the most relevant (because I had the same
> result from my configure script) was one where it said:
>
> ... checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"... no
> >>checking if Fortran "byte" is C "long"... no
> >> checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "short"... no
> >> checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "int"... no
> >> checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "long"... no
> >> checking if Fortran "integer" is C "int"... no
> >> checking if Fortran "integer" is C "long"... no
>
> >The last 9 lines above indicate that the configure script couldn't find
> >any primitive C types corresponding to the primitive Fortran types.  If
> >true, then this would make it impossible to build the netCDF Fortran
> >interface.  This defies belief.  It's more likely that something is
> >wrong with your developmennt environment.
>
> (It was in a correspondance with address@hidden)  I tried your
> suggested diagnosic, given below at the end fo this email, and I got the error
> on compilation:
>
> a.out: error in loading shared libraries: libfj9i6.so.1: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory

The fact that your f90 utility failed to link the sample test-program
indicates that your f90 installation is faulty.  I suggest reinstalling
it and/or contacting the f90 vendor.  You might also try to see if the
file "libfj9i6.so.1" exists anywhere on your system and, if it does,
explicitly referencing it in the f90 link-command.

> I could not try this with g77 because I do not have this, so I did all
> your steps but with the f90 compiler.  Anyway, any help you can offer
> would be very much appreicated.  I will be visiting NCAR between Dec
> 27 and Janary 7th (with my linux/laptop) so if we don't get things
> working by then, perhaps I can stop by.

Please feel free to stop by.

By the way, your analysis of the problem and your response to it were
very nice.

> your suggested diagnostic was:
> To test your development environment, would you please do the following:
>
>     1.  Create the file "sub.c" with the following code:
>
>             void sub_(values)
>                 int values[4];
>             {
>                 exit(values[1] != -2 || values[2] != -3);
>             }
>
>     2.  Compile it with the following command:
>
>             /usr/bin/cc -c -O sub.c
>
>         If an error occurs, then stop and send me the error output.
>
>     3.  Create the file "main.f" with the following code:
>
>            integer values(4)
>            data values /-1, -2, -3, -4/
>            call sub(values)
>            end
>
>     4.  Compile it with the following command:
>
>             /usr/bin/fort77  -c main.f
>
>         If an error occurs, then stop and send me the error output.
>
>     5.  Link the two object files into a program with the following
>         command:
>
>             /usr/bin/fort77 -o main main.o sub.o
>
>     6.  Execute the program with the following command:
>
>             ./main
>
>         and tell me its exit status.

> Bjorn Stevens                          EML: address@hidden
> Dept. of Atmospheric Sciences          WEB:
> http://www.atmos.ucla.edu/~bstevens
> 405 Hilgard Avenue                     FTP: pub/bjorn on tule.atmos.ucla.edu
> Box 951565                             PHN: (310) 206-7428
> Los Angeles CA 90095-1565, USA         FAX: (310) 206-5219

Regards,