Re: 19991207: "make nf_test/test" failure: Red Hat Linux 6.1: fort77

i might be able to clear up some evident confusion here.

firstly, we (unidata) have a couple linux systems: two (including
sunshine.unidata.ucar.edu
which the uname was run on) are running redhat6.1 and one running redhat5.2.
all systmes have
all the latest patches and also the latest linux kernel (2.2.13) installed.
kernels do not
generally affect non-operating system type operations, compiling included.
redhat6.1 was
distributed with kernel version 2.2.12-20.

secondly, and more importantly, although i haven't been privy to this
conversation, i gather
that you, dean, are having trouble compiling a program using fort77 and/or
pgf90.  i don't
know anything about pgf90, but it appears that you are using a redhat6.1 system
that was
updated from a redhat5.x system, so i have some clues for you concerning fort77
and glibc.

here's the scoop:  redhat moved to glibc2.1 with redhat6.x, whereas redhat5.x
used glibc2.0.
there are some strong incompatibilities between the two, mostly (that i've heard
about) concerning the symbols stdin, stderr,...,_IO_stderr,etc.  stdin,
stderr,...were changed
from constants to variables, which can cause compiling issues.  _IO_stderr is
the symbol
referring to the constant definition of stderr.  there is also a linking issue
with object
files/libraries compiled with glibc2.0 headers linked on a glibc2.1 system
concerning the
_IO_stderr symbol.  obviously the details here are confusing (to me anyway), so
if you are
dealing with this stuff, then seek them out.

another interesting tidbit is that redhat did not include the f2c or fort77
packages with
redhat6.x.  so if you have these packages on your redhat6.1 system, then they
are probably
left over from the redhat5.x install (or some other install), and thus were
compiled using the
older glibc2.0.  this is a problem on your redhat6.x system!  to resolve these
problems here
at unidata, i deleted these packages off our redhat6.x systems, and recompiled
the redhat5.2
source rpms (with no modifications) on the 6.x systems.  i recommend that you
do this also.
(the specific source package names are fort77-1.14a-4.src.rpm and
f2c-19970805-3.src.rpm).
contact me if you need more detail on the procedure; it's not very tricky, and
there are a
couple shortcuts by using rpm -b (or see the man page).

-sandy
a sysadmin at unidata