Re: 19991123: 3.3.1 configure problem under Solaris 7

Andrew,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I think that there is a corruption in the netcdf-3.3.1.tar.gz file
> that is located in the pub/netcdf/old directory in your FTP site.
> I've successfully installed this package many times in the past
> and when I use an older ".Z" UNIX-compressed version of this tar
> file it install perfectly, as expected. The only difference is that
> now the tar file is compressed with gzip and has been moved to the
> old sub-directory. Other clues that this gzip version is bad are
> that on your FTP site the gzipped tar file of version 3.3.1 is
> twice the size of the UNIX-compressed version that I had previously
> downloaded, and, when the gzipped version in uncompressed the
> resultant tar file is over three times as big as the tar file that
> uncompresses from the .Z version.
>
> This past weekend when trying to install the package (downloaded on
> 11/20/99 as file "netcdf-3.3.1.tar.gz" from your FTP site) I repeatedly
> ran into the following error when I ran ./configure. I'm working on a
> Sun ultra 5, running Solaris 7, 64-bit capability is disabled, and I
> have the official Sun C/F77/F90 compilers as well as gcc:
>
>       winter2# ./configure
>       ./configure: -64: not found
>       checking for m4... (cached) m4
>       checking for xlc... no
>       checking for c89... c89
>       checking C compiler... works
>       checking how to make dependencies... cc -xM
>       checking for CC... no
>       checking for cxx... no
>       checking for c++... c++
>       checking C++ compiler "c++"... works
>       checking how to run the C preprocessor... c89 -E
>       checking for f77... f77
>       checking for FORTRAN .F compiler...
>       checking if FORTRAN compiler handles *.F files... yes
>       checking for C-equivalent to FORTRAN routine "SUB"... + cat
>       doit=$FC -c ${FFLAGS} conftest.f
>       + eval echo configure:1456: "$FC -c ${FFLAGS} conftest.f"
>       + echo configure:1456: f77 -c -O conftest.f
>       + nm conftest.o
>       + awk
>                      /SUB_/{print "SUB_";exit}
>                      /SUB/ {print "SUB"; exit}
>                      /sub_/{print "sub_";exit}
>                      /sub/ {print "sub"; exit}
>       FCALLSCSUB=sub_
>       + echo sub_
>       sub_
>       + rm -f conftest.f conftest.o
>       + exit
>       winter2#
>

> As you can see, the second output line does not look good. Fortunately I
> found a version of 3.3.1 that I had downloaded - as a .Z compressed file -
> from your site a couple of years ago. I have been able to install this
> with no problem whatsoever. Indeed, this weekend I did some tests and have
> been able to download and install all other versions of netCDF (both the
> older and more recent versions) that are on your FTP site.
>
> So, there's some problem with the gzipped tar file for version 3.3.1 that's
> [...]

Thanks for sending this in.

Yes, there appears to be a problem with the "netcdf-3.3.1.tar.gz"
distribution.  I uncompressed it on my Solaris 7 system and ran into the
same problem.  Near as I can figure out, the distribution was created by
tar-ing up and compressing a working version of the package (with unique
modifications to the configure script) rather than a virgin version of
the package.

Best to stay with version 3.4 of the netCDF package.

--------