Re: 19991014: NetCDF v3.3.1

>To: address@hidden
>From: Randy Zagar <address@hidden>
>Subject: NetCDF v3.3.1

Hi Randy,

> I've been attempting to install NetCDF v3.4 and netCDFPerl 1.2 under
> Win95 using the Cygnus Cygwin32 package (http://www.cygnus.com/gnu-win32).
>
> So far, I have been unable to get NetCDF v3.4 to pass the 'make test'
> phase...

If you send us the information listed at the end of the INSTALL file
for netCDF, including what errors you see, we might be able to help
get version 3.4 to pass the tests.

> However, I have been able to get netCDFPerl working with NetCDF v3.3.1.
>
> It would be a great help for other Cygwin developers if you could make
> v3.3.1 available on your anonymous-ftp site.  Currently, only v3.4 is
> available and that version isn't working with Cygwin32.

Have you tried our beta release of netCDF version 3.5 available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.5-beta2.ZIP

We'd much rather fix what's wrong with netCDF 3.4 and incorporate the
fixes into netCDF 3.5 than support a version from over two years ago
that has known bugs in it that we've already fixed.  That said, I've
made version 3.3.1 available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/old/netcdf-3.3.1.tar.gz

but we can't support that version.

> Sometime after October 19, I will work up a general announcment about
> my NetCDF/netCDFPerl port and send it to the mailing list.

OK, but I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't tell users to get version
3.3.1, because this ends up creating support problems for us,
answering questions that are no longer relevant or trying to diagnose
bugs that we've already fixed ...

Thanks!

--Russ