Re: 19990819: "configure" problem under SunOS/Sparc 5.7

Geoff,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Please find below the list of diagnostics for the problems I'm having
> installing netcdf.  The problem occurs when running "configure".
> I appreciate your help,
>
> Geoff Blewitt
> Research Professor
> University of Nevada, Reno.
> -------------------------------
> A. SunOS basalt 5.7 Generic_106541-04 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60
>
> B. 3.4
>
> C. /opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89
>    /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77
>    /opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC

Good choices.

> D.  basalt# cat configure.log

The last line above indicates that the configure script used information
cashed from a previous execution.  In order to start from scratch, you
have to ensure that the file "config.cache" doesn't exist.

> checking for m4... no
> checking for gm4... no
> checking user-defined C compiler "/opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89"
> checking C compiler... works
> checking how to make dependencies... cc -xM
> checking for /opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC... /opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC
> checking C++ compiler "/opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC"... works
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... /opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89 -E
checking user-defined Fortran compiler "/opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77"... works
> checking for Fortran .F compiler...
> checking if Fortran compiler handles *.F files... yes
> checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"...
> ./configure: nm: not found

The last line above indicates that the configure script couldn't
find the utility "nm".  It uses that utility to help it discover the
Fortran-calling-C conventions on your system.

We have two "nm" utilities on our SunOS 5.6 systems: /usr/xpg4/bin/nm
and /usr/ccs/bin/nm.  I suggest locating yours and adding the parent
directory to the PATH environment variable prior to executing the
configure script.

Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source-directory.

    2.  Perform steps 2 through 5 near the end of the INSTALL file.

    3.  Ensure that the PATH environment variable contains the parent
        directory of an "nm" utility.

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 near the end of the INSTALL file.

Please let me know if this helps.

--------