FW: 19990724: netCDF performance in Java

-----Original Message-----
From: John Caron [mailto:address@hidden]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 1999 4:10 PM
To: Lyn Greenhill
Subject: RE: 19990724: netCDF performance in Java

Hi Lyn:

I have been given your question to try to answer. You may not know, but
Glenn died in an airplane crash several months ago. We have a memorial
to him at http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/Glenn_Davis/get/memorial.html

Just as in C or Fortran, typically one extracts the array (actually a
"MultiArray") that you want out of the netcdf file in a single call.
Reading one element at a time is probably the cause of the lousy
performance you see.

I'm not sure what might have been causing your programmer to be "unable
to get netCDF to work". The first thing that comes to mind is that s/he
tried to extract a bigger array than you have memory for.  S/he should
calculate how big the array is, and make sure the JVM has enough memory
(see the -XmxNN flag to the java program).

Let me know how that goes, or send me more details.

John Caron