Re: 19990722: netCDF for Tru64 Unix?

>To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
>From: "Zubalik, Steve" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF for Tru64 Unix?

K hi Steve,

> I saw on your web page that netCDF runs on ULTRIX-4.5 and OSF1-4.0, is
> there/will there be a version that runs on Digital Unix/Tru64 Unix (and
> takes advantage of the Alpha 21264 processor)?   Also, is there a particular
> distribution of Linux that works better with netCDF than others?

I think "Digital Unix" is just a different name for what used to be
called "OSF1".  We use the name returned by running the "uname -a"
program to identify operating systems, so until Digital/COMPAQ starts
returning "Digital Unix" instead of "OSF1-x.x" from uname, we'll
continue to refer to the platform using "OSF1".  If this is already
the case, please let us know and we'll try to update things for the
upcoming netCDF 3.5 release.

We only support one source version of netCDF for all platforms, but I
think the current version should compile and build OK on the
Digital/Alpha platform.  There is an example of how to compile and
build it for OSF1/Alpha platforms in the INSTALL file.  There is no
special support for the 64-bit Alpha 21264 hardware, but it has always
worked fine on previous 64-bit Alpha processors.

--Russ