Re: 19990712: grADS to netCDF convertion: temporal unit attribute

Ms. Semeena,

In the above message, you wrote:

>       Sir I want to convert one grADS data file into netCDF.  So I wrote
> one FORTRAN program which is working well.  But the problem is that my
> data is in 12hr interval.  So the time attribute is not taking properly.
> It takes either 1hr or 1day.  My data is only one year which has 730 time
> steps.  So when converting into netCDF using the time attribute as "half
> days since 1991-01-01..." or "0.5 days ...." and ploting, it plots for two
> year, which takes the time interval as 1 day.  When I changed the
> attribute into 12hrs since 1991-01-01, it plots for 1hr interval.  I could
> not find a solution for this problem from any of the unidata websites.  So
> please help me in this regard.
>
> Hoping for your reply
> with regards,
> Semeena V S
>

>       ******************************************************
>                       SEMEENA. V. S.
>                       Project Assistant
>                       CAOS
>                       IISc
>                       Bangalore - 560 012
>                       Ph: 080 309 2505
>                       email: address@hidden
>       ******************************************************

The problem might not be with the netCDF library but, instead, with
the plotting package (over which we have no control).  If the "unit"
attribute for the time variable in question in the netCDF dataset has
something like the value "12 hours since 1991-01-01", then the netCDF
dataset is correct and your problem with plotting lies with the creator
of the plotting program.

Run the ncdump(1) utility on the netCDF dataset.  Does it show the
correct value for the "unit" attribute of the variable in question?
If so, then you need to contact the creator of the plotting program.
If it doesn't have the correct value, then we might be able to help
you.

--------