Re: netCDF on the Macintosh

> Subject: netCDF on the Macintosh
> To: address@hidden
> From: address@hidden (CJ Beegle Krause)

Hi CJ,

> Steve Hankin suggested that I contact you to find out if netCDF has been
> ported to the Mac.  We are in the process of deciding on a data format to
> import user numerical model output into our public oil spill trajectory
> model.  Though most of our users are PC, we do all our development on the
> Mac.  My supervisor is not excited about doing the port ourselves, but
> Steve thinks that someone has probably already done it.

Yes, netCDF has been ported to the Mac.  We don't support the port
directly, because we don't have the necessary Mac development
environment to compile and test whatever changes might be necessary,
but Chuck Denham (USGS) has ported and made available a version of the
netCDF libraries for Macs.

You can fetch the sources for the PowerMac port from
<ftp://crusty.er.usgs.gov/incoming/NetCDF-Mac/src>.

If you are a MATLAB user, you can also use the MexCDF and NetCDF
Toolbox developed for Matlab 5 to permit handling netCDF data on Macs,
which you can pick up from
<http://crusty.er.usgs.gov/~cdenham/MexCDF/nc4ml5.html>.

--Russ